Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 S10 4x4 front end bearing noise??

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by estrom, Dec 16, 2013.

1. estrom

estrom Member 1 Year

I've come across a very nice looking '96 S10 4x4 that I'm considering looking at to purchase. My only hang up is that the guy says there is a "bearing noise" coming from the front end. He says it drives great, just has the noise.

Any ideas what to look for? I asked if he thought it might be the transfer case and he said no. I'm thinking a wheel bearing, but wanted to see if you all had more/other ideas or experiences with this truck?

It's a good deal if it's a $200 fix. Not such a good deal if I get stuck with a $1,000 repair.

Thanks!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would jack up the front and and spin the tire. If it is a wheel bearing you should hear it. If you are considering the truck and want to be as sire as you can be you could always take it to a shop for a used car check. Then tell them your concern. Places near me charge $25 for this.
  3. estrom

estrom Member 1 Year

Thanks Pikey. If I decide to go look at it, I think I'm going to arrange to take it to a Les Schwab or some place to have it diagnosed. Just thought I'd check here to see if someone went, "Yep - I had that and know what you're likely dealing with."
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I had a 1994 s10 4X4 , this had a bad hub bearing . the steering wheel would drift to the left . this was the driver side hub.

with both wheels off the ground and the brakes pushed back a little the hub that rotates with some drag is the bad one. you may not feel any wobble.

torque is 187 ft lbs on the hub nut ..

when you install the new hub you will see that the rotation is much smoother and little drag.

I got a cheap hub 100 USD came with a 1 year warranty.