Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1996 silverado 5.7 vortec engine rebuild question??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 96stocker, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 96stocker

96stocker New Member

well i have a 1996 silverado ext cab 2wd 5.7 vortec and i just got it and the tranny is new i have paperwork and all. but the engine has over 212000 miles on it and i just purchased some pacesetter long tube headers and a trick flow cold air intake. but i really want to rebuild before i put all the extras on this high millage engine. so any suggestions would be nice. my budget is about $3000 labor and all, and my goal is to get about 300hp to the wheels and i will have a certified mechanic do all the work and this is my daily driver. and should i think about gears??? thanks guys!

2. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Honestly for 3k I wouldn't rebuild that motor I would get a brand new crate motor you can pick up 383 strokers for about 3000 and have 400+ hp and over 440+ ft lbs of tq. Or the the 350 vortex motors are about 1500 but only about 250-290 hp. The stroker motor would be better overall b/c then you not putting money into it right away to make it faster. Gears I would go with 3.73s for a daily driver but you could go to 4.10s if you want but gas mileage will suffer greatly. Just my opinion all the whole thing thats what I would do but I would do all myself to save on labor more money for parts.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on IPFs crate motor idea. Engine swaps are easy. You can do it yourself & save ALL the rebuild labor that you would have to pay the shop. It will also save you a lot of time since this is your daily driver. Also, what gears do you have now?

4. tt03tbltz

tt03tbltz New Member

i agree with thoes guyes but i would just go pick up a low miles 6.0 and drop it in and be verry happy with all stock stuff with power to boot.

5. wildmans92

wildmans92 Member

the 6.0 is good but nothing like the 383 besides the hes replacing a wire harness and getting everything to work with it, whereas the 383 with vortec heads will bolt right up and like the gm one i think you get the chip or pcm all your wiring and sensors will go on the same place.

6. 96stocker

96stocker New Member

so my heads and everything would work headers and cold air intake, intake manifold and carb? all this will fit on the 383? is there some place i could get a how to book or video or something i know a little about this stuff not a whole lot i just dont wanna mess anything up i really need my truck and a link or something for what all i will need to do this. where to find the engine cheap as possible and everything else i would need. thanks guys for all the help and suggestions this is making my life so much easier!

7. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

With the 383 it will come with heads but yes your exhaust manifolds or headers will bolt right up the intake manifold will bolt right up all of the accessories alternator water pump all the brackets for that will bolt right up as well.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

GM crate motor HT383E is a direct replacement for your engine into your truck. The motors part # is 17800383. This motor fits '96 to '99 trucks. Its a 383 with Vortec heads so your intake and headers will bolt right on and the wiring harness plugs-in.

9. Rob96

Rob96 New Member

I agree with the earlier comments on the crate motors, especially the 383. The 383 will make more torque than the 350 because of the longer stroke which will allow your truck to accelerate better. Just for your reference:

350 engine: 4.000" bore X 3.48" stroke

383 engine: 4.030" bore X 3.75" stroke

10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would convert to a 6.5 liter turbo diesel. more power, better milage, more reliable. We can do it for you, and also finance the rest amount in house.
    not much more then your budget !!!!!

4 days turn around and no more computer BS to go wrong either.
    Think about it.