1996 silverado engine trouble

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by superswanman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. superswanman

superswanman New Member

hey all i am brand new to the club so be gentle on me , ok now for my first question, i recently purchased a 96 silverado 4x4 not the Z71 just 4x4. It was running fine and just the other day i got in to go to work and it just would not start , the engine turns over and the battery is fine , the engine will just not fire to life. can anyone help.

thanks

aaron

2. Big_Blue

Big_Blue New Member

Do you live in a cold area? Does the gas gage work properly? How long have you had the truck?

3. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

Back to basics. Check to see if you are getting fuel and spark. Might be your fuel pump, or something in the ignition system!!
    Welcome to the club, by the way!!!

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Toymyster's got the right idea: check for fuel and spark. Can you hear the fuel pump prime before starting the engine? I'd almost certainly put a fuel pressure gauge on it. I'd probaby also pull codes from the computer -- Some no starts (like a bad CKP) will trigger trouble codes that give you a more specific place to start diagnosis.

5. superswanman

superswanman New Member

help

i have had the truck for about a month now, its the 5.7 and i was thinking fuel or spark also. i hear the fuel pump whine but i dont know if that is what it should sound like. i need to go get a code reader. thanks for the help! i new this would be a good club to join.

6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Hope you figure it out.