1996 Suburban 1500 4x4 Transmission type

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by barryT, Dec 7, 2008.

1. barryT

barryT Member

What type of transmission do I have 4l60e or 4l80e?

-barry

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Assuming gasoline engine, you have a 4L60E.

Anticipating the next question, you should know that not all 4L60E's are created equally. If you are asking this question because you are shopping for a junkyard tranny to throw in your Suburban, you need to look into which years will interchange. If memory serves, you need a '96-'98 4L60E. That doesn't necessarily mean other years can't be made to work (anything can be made to work with enough time, money, and human ingenuity), but they won't be simple "plug and play" replacements.

3. barryT

barryT Member

I was asking because I am towing a large trailer and wanted toknow if my transmission could be put into overdrive while towing on flat ground. I was told that even on flat ground with the size of my trailer that overdrive would destroy my 4l60e.

-barry

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I cooked my suburban tranny coming home from the cape this year towing in overdrive. It is a fairly flat trip but my truck had a ton of miles on it and the tranny was never really right to begin with. But on my dad's suburban he towed in overdrive only on the highway and never had a problem. :neutral:

5. barryT

barryT Member

My engine has 150k but my trans only has 30k, but I guess Ill just drive in 3rd tobe safe.

-barry