1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 suburban 1500

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jabo1965, Oct 8, 2010.

1. jabo1965

jabo1965 New Member

i completely restore my 1996 suburban and gave it to my son for is 16th birthday. last week he was driving down the interstate and the vehicle stalled out. we have the vehicle towed to our residents thinking that it was the battery or starter but later found out that he engine may have locked up because there was no oil in the vehicle. do that mean i have to replace the engine.
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Yes, you are probably out of luck and will need a replacement engine if it was run with no oil enough to actually "die"

It should have made a racket for several seconds before actually dying-metallic squealing etc?

Was it actually bone dry-no oil- or just 1-2 qts low.
    If it was just 1 or 2 quarts low- of 5 quarts- maybe something else actually caused the failure.
    If it actually failed because of no oil- you will need a new motor.
    There will be metal in the filter and maybe in the crankcase if there wasn't any oil.
    You can probably find an OK motor for $500 or so.
    What actually happened to then oil- leak out somehow?
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!! Sorry to hear news about the engine locking up...I hope the best possible scenario turns out for you.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, sorry about your bad luck. I would look into a GM crate motor, either new or a GM remanufactured.
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub! It's a shame about the engine.
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! Hope everything works out!
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  8. rip5164

rip5164 New Member

Welcome to the club. X2 on the crate motor. Good luck.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

*********thread moved********** if you have any questions about the move you are more than welcome to PM me. Welcome to the club.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Any update on this? How old was the engine when you were running it? More facts are needed on that I think. Oil is needed for a reason, and if it seized up then it's probably got some internal damage.