1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 Suburban - New Speakers Needed - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by nottmbantam, Dec 2, 2013.

1. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member

Folks,

I have a 1996 Suburban ( K2500 ) and to cut a long story short, I've decided to keep it and want to make it as comfortable on the inside as I can. Audio is poor. THe rear subwoofers dont work, and the front door speakers just about function. So. I'm on teh hunt for a decent set - front door speakers and rear subwoofers. Want a good quality sound. I usually wire up my iphone via FM Transmitter thorugh the standard head unit to play music / interent radio / podcasts. Head unit works ok.

Any suggestions on a particalur brand of speakers that woudl work well in a Suburban? Don't to shell out loads of cash, just a good clear crisp sound with good bass.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Are you going to Amp the door speakers? How much room do you want to use up in the rear for the Subs? Are you going to keep your factory radio? What are you looking to spend and What WILL you spend?
  3. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member

Thanks for the reply.

The plan was to keep the original stock head unit and just upgrade the front door speakers and the rear cargo area roof mounted sub woofers. Not that I need that much cargo space anyway, but as they are roof mounted, would stick with location. Hadn't really considered upgrading anything else.

In terms of cost, thought of spending in the region of $250. How far would that get me? I'm based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, so the range of products will be a little more limited here, with the market flooded by far east goods.

Cheers
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I prefer either JBL's or Fosgates. My brothers carolla had JBL's in it and it didnt need subwoofers. I love rockford Fosgate Subs.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

In a Sub you don't have Subs in the roof unless someone put them up there They should be 4x10's which are just over sized Tweeters I would just cut them off and get new door speaker front and rear.. As for good sounding speakers IF you are going to stay with your factory radio which only gives out about 13-18 Watts RMS I would go with a JL Audio TR series Which for the lower power of that radio they will give a bit of Midbass that will make you happy JBL's I'm sorry to say put too much into the Tweeter Dept so you won't get the Mid response with lower power.. I would also look into the Focal Acces IF you can find them there..
  6. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member

Thanks for the info - apprecaited.

That sounds like a good plan - to upgrade the front and rear door speakers. Might even go the whole hog and replace the stock head unit - never liked it anyway and the tape deck is kapputt. Had to get the circuit board fixed as the volume was fried, that cost around $50, so works ok. Ideally I'd like a direct Aux input to avoid having to hook up with an FM Transmitter every time I'm in the car.