1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 Suburban Squealing Serpentine Belt

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by marksz, Jul 12, 2010.

1. marksz

marksz New Member

Hi, I have a persistent problem with the serpentine belt on my 5.7 equipped Suburban starting to make an annoying squealing noise especially when cold. Now the problem is that I change this belt out everytime it starts to do this and it only takes a couple of thousand miles before the annoying noise returns. I have purchased the "better, thicker" belts from NAPA at the suggestion of my local mechanic, but same result.

Anyone have this problem and come up with any good, lasting solution?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Go to Daycobelts.com, they have some good videos about belt squeal. I had the problem after replacing the power steering pump and I found out on the site that I hadnt installed the psp pulley all they way so it was misaligned. I just pressed the pulley on a little more and that was it. I did the same as you did with trying new belts and the wouldn't squeal at first.
  3. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

My old '88 S-10 used to do that! Complaining to my parts jobber, he mentioned that the book had (2) numbers listed for that [non- A/C] truck. and the 2nd one was smaller. I tried it and it fit and the squeal never returned...

The parts guys always gave me the first number listed in the book. and it would be squealing in a couple months.

Of course that was a 'real' old time parts jobber VRS some high school kid at Advanced Auto Crap....