1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 tahoe with trans problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by kenkim8283, May 27, 2007.

1. kenkim8283

kenkim8283 New Member

I have a 96 chevy tahoe. I would like to get the trans replaced for a decent price. but i was also wondering if i was to buy either a 700r4 if that will work, as far as a direct bolt up and take right off. or ifi found a a 4l60e trans that is 2x4 and just replace the rear tailshaft. Can anyone help me out??

kenny
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The bone yards have what they call substitution books, that would be my suggestion to give a local one a call and ask them. I’m not sure myself, maybe someone else here knows.
  3. kenkim8283

kenkim8283 New Member

Plese Help Me!!!!

cAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:confused:
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As I understand it, the 4L60E is essentially a fully electronically controlled 700R4. Putting a 700R4 into your '96 will require reprogramming of the computer to account for the non-electronic controls in the 700R4.

From what I understand, yes, you simply need to replace the rear tailshaft/tail housing to convert a 2x4 to a 4x4. However (you knew there would be a however, right?), the tailshaft is usually the very last thing removed when disassembling a transmission. This means that you must disassemble the transmission in order to replace the tailshaft. Which is usually what you are trying to avoid when a question like this is asked.