1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1996 Yukon Tail Light Trouble - Please Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by blueline2004, May 31, 2009.

1. blueline2004

blueline2004 New Member

I just purchased a 1996 Yukon 2-Door and im going to change the tail lights first. Im going to put LED tail lights in, i've already found some good ones online. But yesterday i looked in where i would replace them and i saw a problem. The screw to the tail light is in a small cavity and the screw isnt too long, so im afraid when i'm ready to replace the tail lights and i unscrew it, the screw will fall down into the frame of the car. Maybe im completely wrong and maybe someone can help, but any feedback is more than welcome. Ill post pictures if needed.

2. yukonlover89

yukonlover89 New Member

when i did mine i got a paper towel or shop rag and riped a piece off and stuffed under the screw so if it did fall it would lay on top of the rag and then you could just grab it and no lost screw lol:great:

3. blueline2004

blueline2004 New Member

thats a pretty good idea, thanks!

4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Three more ideas:

1. Go to the store and get yourself a magnetic screw driver. Don't get get a cheapy kind from a place like Dollar General - it won't be as strong as it could be.
    2. Go to the store and get yourself a magnet tool - the kind that's on a telescoping (antenna-like) pen sized wand.
    3. Go to the store and get yourself a cheap piece of metal (aluminum, maybe?) tubing in the 1/2 inch size. Cut the tube to a length just short of your screw driver's shaft length and then unscrew the screw for the light through the tube. When the screw comes out you'll be able to let it slide down the tube by simply tipping the tube down.

Good luck!

5. blueline2004

blueline2004 New Member

i will deninitley go buy one of those telescoping tools, i forgot all about those haha. thanks a lot man