1996 Yukon Vibration Problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by YukonJake, Jan 31, 2010.

1. YukonJake

YukonJake New Member

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4WD 5.7L Vortec 350

Back Story: Last week my wife was driving the Yukon and the driveshaft dropped from the rear yoke. After having it towed home i found: 1. Driveshaft was removed and unmarked. 2. One broken bolt in the yoke and one loose bolt for the U-Joint strap.

At this point, I have removed the yoke, drilled out broken bolt, reinstalled with same exposed thread count on pinion shaft, replaced both U-Joints in driveshaft and reinstalled, just to get vehicle drivable again.

My current problem is a vibration at 40-50 mph. It seems to be a "lighter/softer" vibration now than when it first started.

Any insight, opinions or help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Check the driveshaft for any damage from dropping off also check for any balance weights that should be on there, they might have fallen off when it hit the road. If this is the case it'll need to be balanced.
    The drive shaft might also be out of place, since theres no way to tell where it was when it fell off you might need to remove it and rotate it to find the sweet spot.
  3. YukonJake

YukonJake New Member

Thanks for the thought, will check it out and post anything I find.
  4. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is your truck lifted? If so, how big, what size tires, and what your rear gears are. Anything more than stock will put more stress on the drivetrain and I would recommend going to aftermarket parts. Oh, and welcome to the club!
  5. YukonJake

YukonJake New Member

Vehicle suspension is stock, not lifted/lowered. Tires are Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 245/75R16 Not sure what gears are in the rear, but have not been changed