1997 5.7L Vortec Distributor Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cobra2end, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

so i went to check out the cap on my 97 gmc 5.7. Here is the strange thing i found why the miss. bad plug wire. While i was removing the plug wires my cap popped off on one side
    I was like what the hell not pose to do that. i wiggled the cap and the entire thing came off. now it just sits on there. how do i get the cap to stay on when the bolts that came with it do not go tight? any ideas I wrapped the bolts with Teflon tape for now but its still not solid.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Your only option is to replace the distributor, and actually that is probably why you had a miss since the distributors are known to act up like that.

3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

thegawd and mfleetwood like this.
  4. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks guys

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Let us know what you end up going with and how well it works out for ya.

6. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like GM really dropped the ball with these Vortec dist. I'll be looking at mine soon.

7. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Sounds like my old problem. Same exact thing happened to me and I ended up replacing the entire distubutor and no longer had a missfire.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Can't the threads just be tapped out to the next oversize & replace the screws?

9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

No, Stephan...there realy is no room ! Once they are stripped..its almost gone , remember these are plastic...thats why i went with the e-bay one..all billet..kind of like an MSD ! Works super !

10. ScubaSteveo

ScubaSteveo New Member

That seems really cheap for that distributor. Have you bought one of these. I have the same misfire on my 98 silverado but $52.49 seems insanely low.