1997 5.7L Vortec Distributor Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cobra2end, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

so i went to check out the cap on my 97 gmc 5.7. Here is the strange thing i found why the miss. bad plug wire. While i was removing the plug wires my cap popped off on one side
    I was like what the hell not pose to do that. i wiggled the cap and the entire thing came off. now it just sits on there. how do i get the cap to stay on when the bolts that came with it do not go tight? any ideas I wrapped the bolts with Teflon tape for now but its still not solid.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Your only option is to replace the distributor, and actually that is probably why you had a miss since the distributors are known to act up like that.

3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

1 person likes this.
  4. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks guys

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Let us know what you end up going with and how well it works out for ya.

6. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like GM really dropped the ball with these Vortec dist. I'll be looking at mine soon.

7. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like my old problem. Same exact thing happened to me and I ended up replacing the entire distubutor and no longer had a missfire.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Can't the threads just be tapped out to the next oversize & replace the screws?

9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

No, Stephan...there realy is no room ! Once they are stripped..its almost gone , remember these are plastic...thats why i went with the e-bay one..all billet..kind of like an MSD ! Works super !

10. ScubaSteveo

ScubaSteveo New Member

That seems really cheap for that distributor. Have you bought one of these. I have the same misfire on my 98 silverado but $52.49 seems insanely low.