1997 Burb, Drivers side barn door does not open

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by AdvSwede, Apr 7, 2013.

1. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

I know that there has been a lot of write ups regarding the rear doors not opening. The 1997 has one latch on the left door. it is between the two doors. That latch is connected to two rods that go the the top and bottom locking mechanism. On my vehicle the lower rod is not connected to anything, see pic. Is there something missing? How do I open this door so I can replace the parts?

Burblock.jpg

I have drawn the arrow to the hook of the lower rod. I am assuming that something broke. Is the rod supposed to connect to an arm that may have broke off the part that is circled in red?

2. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Is this a picture looking down to the bottom of the door from the inside (panel removed)?

3. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

Drivers side rear barn door

Yes, I took the panel off and that is what I found

4. USAF-Suburban

I've got a 98 with barn doors. If I get time in the next few days, i'll take the panel off and see what it looks like. I go to work when it's dark and unfortunately get home when it's dark so it may have to wait until this weekend... Greg

5. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

Thanks, I'd appreciate it

Karl

6. USAF-Suburban

I'm sorry Karl, I'll be honest I got sidetracked this weekend and completely forgot about it. Will try and get it done soon, I swear... Greg

7. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

No problem, it's been snowing here anyway