1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1997 chevy dually with 454 backfired then died and now wont start help please

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by sube101, Aug 6, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. sube101

sube101 New Member

as i stated in the title i have a 1997 chevy 1 ton dually with a 454. while my parents were driving on the highway it backfired then died so they coasted to the side of the road. when i got there i checked for spark, fuel and air. it is getting all three. when i cranked it over it tried to start but just couldnt catch. while it was cranking i noticed that i could feel air coming from the intake. so i thought well crap the timing chain snapped, or it slipped a tooth somehow. i tore the front apart and checked the timing chain and it all looks good. seemed to be a bit more slack then i like but I'm a Subaru guy so I'm not sure if its to much or normal play. i put the car on TDC and the marks appeared to line up.
    so i took the valve covers off to see if maybe the cam snapped. and it didn't. so now im stumped i havent the slightest of what it could be. any help would be greatly appreciated

2. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Pull the distributor and check the drive gear. Have seen them wear off.