1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 Gmc K1500 exhaust advice

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Ol'red97, May 28, 2013.

1. Ol'red97

Ol'red97 New Member

My name is Cody I have a 1997 Gmc Sierra K1500 V6 4x4 right now its set up comes out of the manifold and into a Y and into the cat comes out the cat into my glasspack and into they Y to make it duals. I want to make it a true duals system but im iffy about it because of just the one cat. If anybody has any advice please let me know.
  2. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i just spoke with flowmaster about this....... but it was for a V8...
    point is, you should not do that.
    especially with a little V6
    do a stock Y-pipe from the manifolds to the cat, then step up the diameter .5" for the cat, and run that through the muffler all the way to the rear corner.
    done.
    if you do it the way you are discribing you will simply loose power and disrupt firing order exhaust flow/ back pressure out of the engine
  3. Ol'red97

Ol'red97 New Member

ok thanks real quick could u tell me i want to put a flowmaser on my truck single in dual out and either redo my whole exhaust in three inch and tips be a 4 inch outlet or leave it the 2.5 inch that it is and just switch the muffler and the tips out what would be a better idea?
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

dont do the dual outs
    its a 6cly
    its not worth it.
    save up for a V8 cause that motor is gonna loose compression and give out driving that huge truck around.