1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 GMC seirra Oil leak

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by smithsonian12, Sep 19, 2013.

1. smithsonian12

smithsonian12 New Member

I had noticed about a month ago there was an oil leak on my truck, it was just a drop like everyone once in a while. Now it is leaking to the point where I have no oil in my truck in about 3-4 days. I put oil in it everyday, I have checked underneath the truck, but all the oil has blown back and I can't find out where it is leaking from. I'm supposed to be trading it, and the trade may not happen if I don't fix it. Any ideas?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be that or the oil filter adapter lines, those are known issues. I would buy a can of degreaser and go at it. You need to remove the old stuff to find that leak. If it is that bad you should not have an issue finding it.
  3. smithsonian12

smithsonian12 New Member

I had found the leak, it was the oil filter adapter lines. I just bought them, and it is all fix. Thanks!
  4. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Are the adapter lines where the oil filter screws into? I too have an oil leak but don't know where its coming from. Looks like the oil pan gasket but I'm not sure. The oil pan is the lowest point so it may be coming from above. How hard are the adapter lines to replace? Is it a weekend job? Also, what about the oil pan? Thanks in advance
  5. smithsonian12

smithsonian12 New Member

I haven't had to change my oil pan, so I do not know how long it would take. I would assume it would take 3-4 hours. The oil adapter lines are where the oil filter is. They go from there to the front of the truck. It took me about 3 hours to change them. The bottom adapter line is quite easy to get off, its the top one that is a little bit harder.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If it is the rear main seal or oil pan or both like with my truck just bring it to a mechanic. Its a pain in the ass to do the repair and you need to remove many vehicle parts. For the rear main you will need a tranny jack and experience removing the flywheel and tranny. i tried to do the fix my self but you need many special tools so I had the truck towed to a good shop and they finished the job.

The adapter lines are easy as are the adapter gaskets which some times leak. (my truck had no gaskets there)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thats what I was thinking. If its the adapter line, then I will take care of it, but if not, then I will take it somewhere. Just dont know where to go now, since I just relocated. [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], know any good shops around the Madison Heights area?
  8. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know a guy up in shelby township, only one I know on that side of town. He is good, has fair prices, and a vending machine with beer in it. Just select high octane! Those adapter lines have orings in them, sometimes you can just replace the oring. I will PM you the info
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Beer vending machine?
    Michigan huh- too far from new orleans-but good mechanic fair prices
    AND a beer vending machine
    Just the good mechanic fair prices would be worth a 400 mile roundtrip-it is THAT hard to find good mechanics-the beer machine-probably worth another 100 miles!!
    Surprised there isn't some CS law against beer vending machines-I don't smoke-but noticed I never see cigarette machines anymore-