1997 GMC seirra Oil leak

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by smithsonian12, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

So I went up and under, and oil is pretty spread out. Its over my starter and where the oil filter screws in (whats it called). Looks like its running down to the lowest points. I am thinking it is the rear main and just running down from there. I think im just going to take it up to Shelby and have the guy look at it. I would have just liked to know what to tell him that way I somewhat sound like I know what im doing lol

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Well before you see him you should try to pull the inspection cover because it will let you see where the rear main is and see the leak. Also is there oil dripping out of the covers drain hole?

3. jsmith4816

I dont think there is any coming from the drain hole. There is oil by it but not sure if its from the oil filter adapter (correct name?) dripping down. To pull the cover off, do I have to drain any oil? Its hard to describe because there are a few spots the drips may be coming from. I have oil on my starter, oil filter adapter bolts. It drips off the bolts onto my driveshaft and from there it goes all over. I will try and take a few pics tomorrow to try and give you an idea.

*its not alot of oil that drips. Just a few spots about the size of a quarter.

Also thanks for your patience

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you could always spray it down with some gunk degreaser and rinse it off. Start fresh.

5. jsmith4816

Im going to pick some up tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the help fellas!

6. jsmith4816

So after a deep clean, it looks like its coming out of the fuel filter adapter. [MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION], yes there is oil coming from the drain hole.
    [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], I called that shop, and whoever answered is a bit of a smart ass lol

7. Conlan Rose

Ok then it might be the rear main. and the filter adapter it easy as pie.

8. jsmith4816

Thanks man, I was hoping it wouldn't be that though. Was quoted $750 on it today.

9. Conlan Rose

That's over 100 cheaper then what I had it done for and I provided all the gaskets, oil and filter and had taken most of what was need apart.

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea, that was Mike. He is a a$$. I would call back and ask for Bob, he is the owner.