1997 K1500 5.7 Suburban Intake Manifold Gasket Putting stuff back problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by nadcicle, Sep 23, 2011.

1. nadcicle

nadcicle New Member

First off I'd like to say hello. Sorry for making this my first post.

Ok, I am in desperate need of help and I did some searching for the past couple days on and off of here.

I did a lower intake manifold gasket myself and thought I was just about done and ready to fire this thing back up for the first time in about 4 or 5 months. Well I got this extra wire which I will include a pic of and I thought ok whatever it can't be that bad.

Now I should just throw it out there that on initial startup the distributor wasn't tightened all the way down and it did start fine and idled kind of high. I didn't notice the distributor til after I looked close and it was bouncing around and hitting the upper intake housing. I thought I would just tighten it down and my problems would go away. I was wrong. When i tightened it down it stopped rattling for sure, but now my truck is stumbling over itself like crazy and will not idle at all. It will just die as soon as you release the gas.

I also would like to add that the distributor, cap, pin, wires, plugs, and maf are all brand spanking new just because I have read all the problems these can cause. The plugs are indeed double ac's.

I read that these year trucks timing cannot be set. So is there a wrong way to install the distributor? I am open to all suggestions.

I also wanna know if this wire may be causing my problems and if so where does it go and if not what else could it be, and if possible does someone have the link to high def engine bay pics of a factory suburban. I just want to know for wire routing reference.

Sorry for all the questions. I have however found alot of my other answers from previous posters here and you guys are extremely helpful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. That looks like its the plug for the IAT that is in the air filter housing.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

That measures the inlet air temperature. It must be plugged in for the truck to run right.

3. nadcicle

nadcicle New Member

I thought the same thing at first, but I hooked the air filter and maf and stuff up and this is still an extra wire.

I have 2 hookup on my air cleaner box and I have used them both.

4. nadcicle

nadcicle New Member

Ok, mark all as completed!

That wire went in to the back of the ac compressor.

I took out spark plug 1 and put my finger over the hole while I rotated the crank until I felt it push out air til it stopped and started sucking in air. That makes it Top dead center on these engines. Little did I know it's also marked right over the harmonic, but it was too dirty for me to see at the time.

Anyways, after that was complete I moved the oil pump with a long screwdriver in the distributor hole until it felt like it would line up (trial and error) and put the rotor pin on number 1. I buttoned everything back up and she didn't want to fire straight up at first because it has set for so long it backfired about 3 or 4 times, but after about 10 minutes it all evened out and shes running just fine now.

Now to just change the water out for antifreeze and change the oil tomorrow. Mark this as another successful lower intake manifold installed.

It's amazing what a friend can do with a case of yuengling lager and a few tools. lol