1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 K1500 No Start

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ncof300d, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ncof300d

ncof300d New Member

I have a 1997 K1500 with 5.7L engine. Went home at noon it ran fine. Got home then went to leave and it won't start....just cranks the engine with no hint of any firing.....anyone ever had this happen before?
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

How long was it before you tried to start you it again after you parked it? I had a '97 and sometimes (for no reason I could figure out) it wouldn't start back up unless I let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes...it was really weird.
  3. ncof300d

ncof300d New Member

About 25-30 minutes. I drove my 30 year old 300D back to work.
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Hopefully, somone soon will have an idea or two for you. See what happens next time you try and start it. If it starts right up, then probably have the same goblins that appear from time to time that I had. And of course, it would never happen to me when I was trying to trouble shoot it.....Sorry I am not more help.
  5. IT-Guy

IT-Guy New Member

When you say cranks the engine, do you mean that the engine just turns it over? Is this a consistent issue or one that you just started having? You may have a starter issue or a plug/plug wire issue. When was the last time these were changed for new ones?
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

1st thing I would probably check on a hard warm start is the fuel pressure regulator. What happens is the diaphragm in the regulator leaks, allowing unmetered fuel into the intake, effectively flooding the engine. On these engines, it's a little tricky to check. Some say you can poke a mirror down into the intake and see if there is gasoline inside the intake. I might start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and seeing if the fuel system holds pressure when the pump shuts off. While there, see how quickly the fuel pressure comes up to spec when the pump comes on, and see if the fuel system is staying at spec while cranking the engine.

Another thing I might do is put a scanner on it and see if the computer is showing any trouble codes that might explain the hard start.
  7. ncof300d

ncof300d New Member

Got home, still not start or attempt to fire. Guessing ignition. never had any starting or running issue before
  8. Looey

Looey New Member

You can check for spark by removing a plug boot, inserting a screw driver in the boot, then place the screwdriver near a good ground. Have someone crank the engine over and look for a bright white/blue spark.
  9. Looey

Looey New Member

Good point. My buddy had the same problem but he would just rock the truck side to side and then the pump would work...
  10. Looey

Looey New Member

I know that would never work for me either. But the cussing sure does make me feel better!