Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1997 K1500 Suburban Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by BigMike H, Feb 15, 2012.

1. BigMike H

BigMike H New Member

I'll start by saying that I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 1997 K1500 Suburban a few years back as my daily driver/work vehicle/family hauler. When I bought it, the transmission was slipping and I've managed to milk it along. Its has a 4" ProComp lift and I'm running 33" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs. The burb now has close to 160,000 miles on it and I'm contemplating an engine change, a transmission rebuild, and some other modifications. Below are my contemplated mods:
    • 4L60E Tranmission Rebuild, SS Monster-in-a-Box (includes 2nd and 4th gear Corvette servos, kolene steels, Red Eagle Clutch Kit, Beast Sun Shell, new planetary gears, etc.) with 1800 - 2000 Torque Converter. Advertised to withstand up to 600 pounds of torque...
    • HT383E Crate Engine with LT4 Hot Cam, Scoggin Dickey Vortec cylinder heads capable of 0.600 lift, Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum 1.6:1 roller rockers, BBK Performance 80mm throttle body, Fel-Pro Gasket Kit, VMAX Manifold Spacer, and of course a Black Bear custom tune.
    Does anyone have any feedback on how these mods will work out or any other suggestions? Is this overkill?

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Nothing is overkill. I was going to say go with a 383.

3. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

I wouldn't say nothing is overkill. A 383 is a good engine for that truck, but stick a blown, nitrous fed 540 ci big block pushing 1100 hp, that's overkill for a daily driver.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Haha now thats super-overkill. 383s are great engines. Thinking about dropping one into the 77 Vette I'm slowly bringing back to life.

5. BigMike H

BigMike H New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm also thinking of using the GM Performance Fast Burn heads (P/N12464298) instead of the Scoggin Dickey modified Vortec heads. What are your thoughts on how this mod willwork with the previously mentioned mods? For my purposes are the Fast Burn heads a waste of money and will they evenmake a noticeable difference in this application? I want a truck that is still a good, strongdaily driver with decent fuel economy (I presently get about 13 MPGcity/highway) but has the capability to pick up and go when I want it to... Especially when driving from Reno to Vegas orpassing another vehicle on a steep grade.

6. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

Vortec L31 iron heads tend to run out of breath at around 6500 rpm but have great low-midrange power. With a mild 383 you will easily be able to take advantage of their flow up to 6000rpm. The fast burn heads have 210cc intake ports and will work great with a 383 in a hot rod turning 7000-7500rpm and a 3500+stall. Which isnt what I understand you trying to do with your suburban. If you wanted to use the Fast Burn heads you would be better off with a 400+ cube small block to bring the street manners out o those heads. Dont take any of this wrongly though. Its just hard to get good low-midrange out of such largeport heads.

7. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Go cummins DIESEL !