1997 K1500 Suburban Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by BigMike H, Feb 15, 2012.

1. BigMike H

BigMike H New Member

I'll start by saying that I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 1997 K1500 Suburban a few years back as my daily driver/work vehicle/family hauler. When I bought it, the transmission was slipping and I've managed to milk it along. Its has a 4" ProComp lift and I'm running 33" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs. The burb now has close to 160,000 miles on it and I'm contemplating an engine change, a transmission rebuild, and some other modifications. Below are my contemplated mods:
    • 4L60E Tranmission Rebuild, SS Monster-in-a-Box (includes 2nd and 4th gear Corvette servos, kolene steels, Red Eagle Clutch Kit, Beast Sun Shell, new planetary gears, etc.) with 1800 - 2000 Torque Converter. Advertised to withstand up to 600 pounds of torque...
    • HT383E Crate Engine with LT4 Hot Cam, Scoggin Dickey Vortec cylinder heads capable of 0.600 lift, Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum 1.6:1 roller rockers, BBK Performance 80mm throttle body, Fel-Pro Gasket Kit, VMAX Manifold Spacer, and of course a Black Bear custom tune.
    Does anyone have any feedback on how these mods will work out or any other suggestions? Is this overkill?

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Nothing is overkill. I was going to say go with a 383.

3. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

I wouldn't say nothing is overkill. A 383 is a good engine for that truck, but stick a blown, nitrous fed 540 ci big block pushing 1100 hp, that's overkill for a daily driver.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Haha now thats super-overkill. 383s are great engines. Thinking about dropping one into the 77 Vette I'm slowly bringing back to life.

5. BigMike H

BigMike H New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm also thinking of using the GM Performance Fast Burn heads (P/N12464298) instead of the Scoggin Dickey modified Vortec heads. What are your thoughts on how this mod willwork with the previously mentioned mods? For my purposes are the Fast Burn heads a waste of money and will they evenmake a noticeable difference in this application? I want a truck that is still a good, strongdaily driver with decent fuel economy (I presently get about 13 MPGcity/highway) but has the capability to pick up and go when I want it to... Especially when driving from Reno to Vegas orpassing another vehicle on a steep grade.

6. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

Vortec L31 iron heads tend to run out of breath at around 6500 rpm but have great low-midrange power. With a mild 383 you will easily be able to take advantage of their flow up to 6000rpm. The fast burn heads have 210cc intake ports and will work great with a 383 in a hot rod turning 7000-7500rpm and a 3500+stall. Which isnt what I understand you trying to do with your suburban. If you wanted to use the Fast Burn heads you would be better off with a 400+ cube small block to bring the street manners out o those heads. Dont take any of this wrongly though. Its just hard to get good low-midrange out of such largeport heads.

7. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Go cummins DIESEL !