Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1997 K2500 5.7. Engine time approaches. Long block? Boneyard? 7.4? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jamm3r, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

So I have this 1997 K2500 long bed pickup that has had a hard life. For a while it belonged to a repo man. For a while it belonged to a landscape company that used it for plowing snow. The plow is about 80% worn out and the truck is on its third transmission (though I believe that the second one wasn't assembled correctly by the rebuilder, and they *did* cover it under warranty). The truck has 91,000 miles on it. It has the 5.7.

I use it to plow snow, pull an 8,000 pound trailer, and to carry my slide-in camper.

The engine has a tick in it that seems to be, gradually, getting louder. I'm not an expert on these things but people I trust have told me that it's probably due to a cracked piston.

Trying to get my head together for when the time comes. The body, suspension, and steering are all solid, the transmission now fairly new, and everything works. I need a long bed for the camper and there aren't that many on the used market around here, and all told I don't especially want to sell the truck.

So what would you all suggest when the engine fails? Should I just put in a new long block and call it good? Are there performance upgrades I should consider while I have the engine out? Are there good used engines available? I'd really rather have a 7.4 -- should I think about swapping one in?