1997 Leather seats a mess

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by motoxpress, Nov 17, 2011.

1. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

So, the leather seats in this '97' are in pretty bad shapes with several tears on each seat. What is the most economical option of addressing it? Seat covers? Repair? I don't want it to look cheap but, it seems like recovering them all doesn't make sense either.

-mx

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most likely the cheapest way would be seat covers. MarathonSeatCovers.com have good fitting, durable seat covers. If there more than you want to spend take a look at CoverCraft.com

3. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Maybe not what you are looking for, but... I did a $1.00 improvement on my grey leather seats. They were cracked and split all over the place. The white and tan stuffing and backing was showing through. I took a can of walmart spray primer and sprayed it in all the cracks, then immediately came back with a towel that was slightly damp with paint thinner and wiped it off any area where it got on the leather. Now the cracks are all the same color grey as the leather and it looks better... not great, but better. And, it only cost me a buck!

I figure I'll eventually recover the seats, so I didn't mind testing out this crazy idea. Luckily it worked with no negative side effects! I was worried about the paint rubbing off on my butt, but it doesn't. And it really does look better! I'd say it took the seats (on a scale from 1 to 10) from a 2 or 3 to a 5.

4. TMair

TMair Member

$700.00 for seat covers seams a little extream, but they are Cordora and that means bullet proofs, I guess the question would be, in the end do you want leather or tuff seat covers that will probably last as long as the truck?
    Terry

5. janikphoto

You may also want to look into adding heated seats! I've had them in previous cars and miss them a lot.

6. TMair

TMair Member

No kidding, my son had an F-150 with heated leather seats, I did not think the seats in the Ford were all that comfortable, but in the winter the heat was way nice, my Suburban has leather but not heated and like janikphoto said I miss them, I wonder if they can be added.
    Terry

7. janikphoto

you can add them to just about any car seat. Go to a local auto interior shop and have them quote you for new leather and heated seats...

8. TMair

TMair Member

After reading this thread, I went looking, I found some after market heaters, watched the install videos it looked simple enough, my seats are in great shape, just no heat.
    Thanks
    Terry
    P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

9. motoxpress

motoxpress New Member

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I am probably going to find some reasonable covers. I am just trying to get this car ready to sell and this seems to make the most sense.

-mx