1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 Silverado Brake light issues

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jtrout88, Sep 30, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jtrout88

jtrout88 New Member

I have a bone stock 97 silverado ext cab longbed 4x4 auto with a 350 and im having some issues with my brake lights. When i push the peddle a little bit the brake lights come on but push a little further and they go off? Any suggestions on what the issue might be?
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like the switch to me.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on the brake switch!

If you lay on your back on the drivers side floor, and look with a flash light behind the brake pedal you will see a plastic rectangular box with 2 wiring harnesses going to it. Disconnect the battery (-), and disconnect the two wiring harnesses hooked to the brake switch. When you take it out you will see a plastic threaded rod sticking out, this is what makes contact when you push the brake pedal. You can screw that in or out to make a fine adjustment to it, if this doesn't work then your switch is bad and you will have to go buy one.

I had to buy a new one for my firebird, autozone charged $14.00 for it so it's cheap. Hope this helps and not hinders!