1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 silverado cant get into gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Jscook36, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Jscook36

Jscook36 New Member

I have a 1997 checy silverado 4x4 z-71 ext cab. When i got to put my truck into gear either reverse or drive the shifter gets stuck and wont go into a gear, i have to shake the truck back and fourth to finally get it into drive. I think its a linkage issue, im not sure how to fix it or how much its going to cost me to get it fixed or if its just something easy i can do myself. Any suggestions, Does this make any sense??

TRUCK- August 2011 034.jpg
  2. steverocks6

steverocks6 New Member

well question, what happens when you put the truck all the way down to first?
  3. thegeniusguy

thegeniusguy New Member

check the linkage bushings..
  4. billnorman

billnorman Member 100 Posts

Your truck is supposed to require the brake application to put it in any gear. If I were you, with what you are saying, I would check that circuit out.