1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997Chevy K3500 frame rust

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by endlessman, May 6, 2009.

1. endlessman

endlessman New Member

I have a 1997 chevy K3500 with a badly rusted frame rail . The section of frame just above and forward of the right front wheel is dissintigrating !! has anyone else encountered this problem ? Looking for options to replace frame , either new or used .......
  2. div4scpro

div4scpro New Member

this wont help the sections if they are already rusted through, but for any rust you can see there is a product called Ospho. It will chemically alter the rust to inert iron phosphate and stop the corrosion on any visible surfaces. It also preps the surface as a primer.
  3. Tat-Tude Dually

Tat-Tude Dually New Member

You know I thought this hard never happened but I was going to buy a 77 dually and the frame on it was GONE over the pass side rear axle! The frame had rusted completely away over the axle....from the front spring shackle to the rear one....there was no frame at all!!! and I was wondering myself what would cause a frame to rust away this badly?

I would look at some junk yards for a new/used frame to replace yours with OR depending on what mods you want to do to the truck like dropping it or lifting it you could replace that part of the frame its self.....it would take some welding and fabbing but it could be done and would be better then replacing the whole frame.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Around here it's more common to see rear frames go bad first. Replacing rear frame sections is pretty straight forward, I have a friend that does it all the time. Replacing a section of the front is a whole different ball game. I would think you would need to pull the front clip, motor, and tear down the front suspension to do the job right.You might need to assess the overall condition and value of the truck and make a decision. Can the frame be plated and beefed up, or is it too far gone? And what is the condition of the rest of the frame? If the body and drivetrain are solid you might better off to transplant them to a donor frame. I don't know how this affects registering the truck, I think the VIN is supposed to be tied to the frame, but who cares. Or, can you part out the truck, combine that money with what it would cost to repair, and put it towards a different truck?

Good luck, and keep us posted.