1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 5.7 vortec no start..

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by easttown, Apr 11, 2010.

1. easttown

easttown New Member

I'm having a problem with a 98 vortec 5.7...It will only start cold if starting fluid is shot in the throttle body area,,,once it is running it is ok..runs fine...if you shut it off and restart with in about 5 mins,,,it goes,wait longer,and it need to be primed again. the distibutor cap and wires are new,as is the fuel pump and filter,has over 60lbs at the injectors..also the entire injector spider has been replaced..I've read people having the same exact problem,but have seen no solutions...anyone help?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Do you have the same 60psi after the 5min plus of sitting?? only reason i ask is it sounds like the pressure is bleeding off somehow...
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Can I assume that the 60 psi fuel pressure you measured was at a time when it wouldn't start? Where it will start on starting fluid suggests that the problem is a fuel delivery problem.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had a 72 gmc that did the samething..always had a bottle of gas in the back. Put a new carb on it and it stopped..
  5. easttown

easttown New Member

yes..60 lbs when the key is turned to on...55 lbs when running...no ck eng light codes...runs ok after a shot of starting fluid,and will restart if started within 4 mins
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

maybe an issue with the injectors opening. Are the spark plugs "wet" after trying to start?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

what about a vac. leak ? My ok i hate to say it all but my honda did the same thing it turned out to be the t.b. was loose as soon as i fixed it it ran and started fine.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

IS it using coolant at all???
  9. dlhendo

dlhendo New Member

'00 5.7L Vortec cold start problem

I have the same problem...and just joined as well, so I'll follow along. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago, and I knew it had this problem.

'00 5.7L has a problem starting in the mornings or after it's been sitting for more than an hour or two. first turn it usually doesn't try to start, second turn and after it will try to start, sit and wait, a few more turns and it fires up without any problem. after that, no problems at all, first turn and she's running fine.

hoping to get some good ideas following this thread....
  10. easttown

easttown New Member

We finally solved the problem...seems the fuel pump we purchased wasn't up to the task,it would lose pressure after sitting 5 mins..here is what we did..we took apart the original pump module,and replaced the electric pump inside with another new pump,made for a 96 SS impala.. this was only 69 bucks,and not the 200 plus for the complete unit. Works fine now..