1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 Chevy 1500 Tranny question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jakeolsen, Jun 2, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jakeolsen

jakeolsen New Member

I bought a '98 1500 cheyenne with the 4.3 v6 and manual transmission. Not long after buying it, the shifter broke loose. It turned out to be the coupler that the shifter goes into. The one that is on the rail with a pin holding it in place.

I ordered the part, but I am having some trouble getting it installed. I figured the easiest way to replace it would be to disconnect the drive shaft, and then separate the small front piece of the transmission from the rest. I have run into two problems so far.

First of all, I cannot get the front part of the drive shaft out! I have the rear out and everything, but I can't get it out. Secondly, I have all of the bolts out of the smaller part of the transmission, but I can't get it to break loose. It looks like there may be a pin there that has to be driven out? Any help wouldbe appreciated!

Here is a pic to kind of help explain. I am trying the remove the part circled in yellow because the part I need to replace is about where the red circle is.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010