1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 Chevy Burb Windshield Wiper motor [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by QTee, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QTee

QTee New Member

A little over 1 year ago, my windshield wipers started having a mind of their own. They would work fine in the rain for about 45 mins, and then stop in the vertical position (or sometimes right in the middle of the windshield). Then would start working again in delayed mode, even if I had it on “low” or “High”. Sometimes I would turn them totally off and it would still run for another 5-10 minutes.

I ran the problem on an internet search engine, and found where that exact problem was recalled for 1994-1997 Suburbans, along with many other GM trucks. About 1.77 million GM pickup trucks, SUVs and vans were recalled for faulty wiper circuit boards and motor covers. This recall is an extension of a windshield wiper replacement program that GM conducted in 1998. But they failed to include the 1998 year model in the study. You can read the article here---> GM Recall

The thing is, the Windshield Wiper Motor, on my truck, has a factory decal (complete with a barcode) that clearly has the date “12/15/1997 on it. I called GM and asked if my truck would fall under this recall even though my truck is a 1998, it was built in December of 1997 with 1997 parts. My answer… NOPE!!! Grrrrrrr

They did send me a free oil change voucher for my troubles. ~~~Whoopdie Doo~~~

So with that… I have 2 questions;

1. How do I get them to fess up this part on my truck is the EXACT one they have recalled?
    2. How hard is it to change out this faulty part and will it cost me my 1st born to fix it?

Thanks Y'all,
    Take Care,

~QTee

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

try a different dealer in your area, they may be more sympathetic, if not try a new wiper motor. but i belive that the problem in the recall was a board in the motor that was the problem not the motor itself. so you may be able to get the recall kit from the dealer. just a thought. if not buy a new motor at local parts store.
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4. QTee

QTee New Member

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with trying another dealer, however in addition to that, I find that dropping names, during your conversation with the service manager helps. example: I went to XY dealership about this, and they looked at me like I was nuts, and dismissed the problem. You can bet that the service manager isn't going to let you say that about them. They'll go the extra mile to earn your future business. :D
    (Taken from prior experience....) :wink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.