GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

1998 Chevy K1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 Noise From 5 Speed Tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevyman882001, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chevyman882001

chevyman882001 New Member

Hey I have a 1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 with Vortec 350 and A 5 speed Manual Trans which I believe is the NV3500 the truck has 157,000 miles on it. There is a humming noise coming from the tranny while Im driving and while my speed increases does nothing with RPM just speed, The tranny still operates perfectly and shifts fine and I feel no slack and no grinding or binding in it Just the Humming noise and I can get going take it out of gear and let out of the clutch and it goes away then comes back when I put it back in gear. I was wondering if it could just be low on fluid I have not checked it yet but Have parked it for the time being till I can get some info. Like I said there is only a humming noise and it is in every gear but still performs like a new one. Any help I would really be thankful cause I really hope I don't have to put in a new tranny I just got the truck a couple weeks ago and It was so hard to find a nice ext. cab 4x4 with a 5 speed. Thanks in advance
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

I would absolutely check the fluid level. If all the gears aren't coated properly, they will definitely whine when they mesh.
  3. chevyman882001

Well I checked it only had to add bout half a quart also checked the transfer case everything good so I don't aint sure thinking maybe the rear end but it has been rebuilt before I got it and I drained the oil out of it which wasn't old nor the gasket so I replaced all that. Should I try and add some differential additive to it?
  4. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

Is there any vibration, or just noise? If there is vibration, feel both shifters as you are driving and see if you can narrow it down to transmission or transfer case. Then go from there. Sorry I can't be more help.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member

That's a great idea to help narrow it down!!
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Also the NV3500 was a VERY noisy tranny. ive had 3 of them and they all made different noises.. you may also have a noisy throw out bearing. A little hummm/whine is quite normal for these things though.
  7. chevyman882001

There is very little vibration just feels like normal 5 speed to me and I've read bout them NV3500's being a noisey tranny I think I might just be paranoid bout this is my first Chevy truck with a 5 speed all my other straight drive trucks have been Fords but I love both chevy and ford trucks so ill just keep an eye on everything and keep check on it and if I encounter anymore problems I'll try and get some input. Thanks for all the help guys and I'll be checking that throw out bearing when I get a chance thanks
  8. ImAChevyLover

ImAChevyLover New Member

I too have a 98 chevy is a 5 speed tranny (whinning noise in 5th gear only), i got mine rebuilt last year, they said it was common for these trannys to have noises. Shifts and drives just fine.