1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 express 2500 wrong heate resietor

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by CHILAXIN, Dec 31, 2013.

1. CHILAXIN

CHILAXIN New Member

Ok, my heater resistor went bad no big deal on my 1998 Chevy express 2500. I pulled the old one out and went to buy a new one. every parts store including the dealer shows I should have a resistor that is about 1 inch by 1 inch. well the one I took out is about 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall and the best way to describe it is it looks like a computer card. I figured the new one was just an update took it home it does not fit! It does not look like there has been any modifications. Blower motor and housing look original. Side note I live in Michigan and its colder then my wife driving the van. any ideas?
  2. thesavo

thesavo New Member

Can you post pics of both cards? Along with any part numbers you see?
  3. CHILAXIN

CHILAXIN New Member

resistor1.jpg resistor2.jpg can not see any part numbers
  4. thesavo

thesavo New Member

Did the new one come In a box or a bag? That looks like a tail Blazer resistor. I helped a fiend change his. Also, does it look like it mounts different? It could be the angle of the pictures.
  5. CHILAXIN

CHILAXIN New Member

LOL it came in a sealed bag in a box. mounts the same but it does not fit in because of the small slot opening
  6. thesavo

thesavo New Member

So the original one is wider. The new one is smaller in every way but the circuit board is thicker?
  7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

looks just like the resistor for my 02 silverado. the fancier resisters are usually for the vehicles with the digital or dual zone climate control. I would try asking the parts store to see one for a 96, 97, or 99. maybe those will be the correct one.
  8. CHILAXIN

CHILAXIN New Member

the old one is about 1/16 same as a computer board, the new one is about 1/8 thick or more. there are like tabs or "legs" on the new part that make it not fit. I could cut them off to make it fit I guess but 1) not sure if new part would work right 2) I don't think I should have to modify a new part to fit. I google image searched trailblazer resistors and they are the 1 inch by 1 inch type
  9. thesavo

thesavo New Member

I agree with [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], that the new part is wrong. I would bring both to the parts desk and say " one of these things, is not like the other". Even bring him out to your van and ask how it's supposed to fit.
  10. CHILAXIN

CHILAXIN New Member

we checked 97-2003 even the dealer shows the smaller one. That's what has me stumped I was hoping someone has had this problem before. what model silverado did you have I can try looking at that one