1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 GMC 5.0 - Still Struggling

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tunnelgas, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tunnelgas

tunnelgas New Member

I am still trying to get my 1998 GMC running. If you didnt happen to catch my previous post my son was driving it last weekend and it died on him at about 35mph and would not start back. I assumed the fuel pump but when I got to it I could hear the pump come on as soon as the ignition switch was engaged. It turns over fine and I have spark to the plugs. I have replaced the cap and rotor (didnt know if they needed it or not) but that didnt help either. The plug wires and plugs are relatively new. I replaced the ignition control module also with no help there.

Someone suggested I use a paperclip in the "5 & 9" pinholes of the obd to see if I got any codes flashing and assuming I did that properly there are no codes. The light comes on but does not flash. I poured a little gas in the throttle body and it tries to catch with that but will never actually fire up. I am stumped and dont want to just go changing parts.

Any thoughts?
  2. doug_scott

doug_scott Rockstar

Just because you hear the pump does not mean it is actually pumping anything. I would check for fuel at the fuel rail, and make sure it is under pressure there.