Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1998 GMC Jimmy-Fuel Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by maximo, Feb 22, 2014.

1. maximo

maximo New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm coming on here hoping to find answers. I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy ,and over the past week i have noticed a small fuel leak. The weather here in PA has prevent us from really investigating it as we don't have a garage (taking it to a shop is out of the question financially).

I was in a bad habit of topping it off ,but i never had leak before until last week. I didn't smell ,or see anything upon fill up it wasn't until i parked it that i noticed anything. I was in a parking garage ,and noticed a fuel smell. I looked underneath ,and could see one part of the frame was dripping wet. Once i touched it ,and smelled my hand i smelled fuel. I kept on an eye on my fuel gauge over the course of the night ,and over the course of 12 hours i lost less than an 8th of a tank.

Once the tank seemed to get below 3/4 or so the leaks stopped. I checked it the entire week at every place i went ,and the spot i seen the leak was bone dry the only wetness was from the snow ,and water on the road.

Tonight i needed fuel so i refilled the tank from 1/4 to full. I watched underneath while it filled ,and there was no leaks. i brought it home ,and went out to get groceries out of the truck an hour or so later. I looked underneath ,and once again it was exactly how it was last week. I checked my gauge ,and it's reading full.

I'm not having any issues starting the truck ,and i don't seem to have any power problems ,or anything.

The leak appears along the frame about a foot away from the rear driver side tire.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this leak. My dad ,and i are thinking it's the return line as it only happens when the truck is shut down ,and sitting after running.