1998 Suburban- 1/2 ton EBC pads Greenstuff Yellowstuff BETTER BRAKING??

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, May 13, 2013.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Help
    My only real pick with my 1998 Suburban-mine since 2007
    is the brakes-they aren't great OK not horrible-but not good.
    Any chance those expensive EBC Greenstuff $100 or EBC Yellowstuff $150 pads would do what they claim
    improve braking-cold braking 10-15%

Powerstuff or Powerstop-has a kit-rotors+ pads-much cheaper $220 pads and rotors-and they claim 20% better stopping-which I would gladly pay if it is true.

EBC has rotors+ yellowstuff pads- $550-claim they improve braking-but I suspect they really mean high temp braking-brake fade-and I don't tow or ride the brake pedal so I never get brake fade

Anyone have a $500 solution for better brakes on 96-99 1/2 tons??
    Brembo calipers HUGE rotors-$1500-not on the table-but I love this truck-if it worked-I might be game.It would allow me to keep this 1998 which works great gets good mpg-instead of eventually buying a 2004-and getting a pig in a poke-mainly for better brakes

Thanks
    Charlie

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] uses those pads. Maybe he can tell us if he has noticed improved stopping distances.

3. phoebeisis

Surrealone- you out there??
    Are they any good??

Yeah-my only dislike with this Suburban-greatest $2950 car in the world-is the brakes.They are marginal.
    Some idiot came over the line one morning-dark rainy-about 1.5 months ago-I was starting to stand on the brakes-but not much happens.They work as designed-but that isn't good.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was incorrect, surrealone runs Hawk pads

5. phoebeisis

Does he like them- the Hawk pads??
    do they work noticeably better than stock??

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I prefer semi-metallic pads to ceramic pads a) because they have better cold bite than ceramic pads and b) because they have less tendency to induce warping in rotors since they transfer more heat from the rotors than ceramics do.

I've used Hawk pads for years because they offer very good performance at a reasonable price (compared to, say, Brembo pads, pricewise) and they don't produce too much dust. When my OEM Brembos needed to be replaced on my 2006 300C SRT8, all my pad research led me to Hawks for a solid combination of performance and price. When I stopped driving sports cars and began driving trucks, my 2001 Silverado got Hawks ... again because performance and price research led me to them, not because I'm stuck on them. When I moved to a 2004 GMC Sierra, I did my research, yet again, and came up with ... Hawks.

Am I satisfied with them? Yes! Would I change anything about them? Well, bedding them in is important ... and annoying ... so if I didn't have to do that it'd be great -- but you have to do that for all pads, so I'm clearly dreaming big and being unreasonable, here. I suppose my one complaint is that sometimes when it's cold/wet out they moan when cold and first applied, in the morning ... usually as I'm braking while backing up. It's slight and gone after first use, but it still bugs me, because I'm pretty picky.

I have mostly black wheels, by the way ... which I mention because dust shows up badly on black wheels ... and the dust produced is so slight I never feel obligated to wash my truck or wheels due to dust build-up. That's a bonus I didn't expect in truck pads. :)

7. phoebeisis

Surrealone

Thanks
    Which ceramic pads-do you use.
    My only concern is improving cold bite initial braking-
    I don't worry about rotor wear or dust
    HecK NOT COUNTING TRAVEL I onlt put 2500 miles a year on it-and I rarely brake-so the brakes are always cold.
    Thanks
    Charlie

8. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I just put the auto zone brand ceramics on my 99 burban and I've bee reasonably happy with them- though I can't speak to noticing a difference on cold stops. What really made a noticeable difference for me were the Wagner premium shoes I threw on the rear drums- wish I would've done that a long time ago.
    I'll have to check the hawks out for my next suburban.

9. phoebeisis

Family Force
    Thanks
    Where did you get the premium Wagner shoes?
    I certainly need shoes-guess I will do that 1st.
    How difficult was it to replace the shoes?
    Thanks
    Charlie

10. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Shoes are certainly more difficult than pads, but not ridiculous. Like any job, once you've done it, it's much easier the second time. (Unfortunately I have WAY too much experience putting on shoes. Search my posts about brake shoe noise to get a glimpse into my brake drum fiasco!)
    I have a Haynes manual that does a very good job of describing the procedure with about 4 pages of pictures- I highly recommend it. You will need a brake spring/shoe tool. Don't attempt the job without this tool.
    I purchased the shoes at Advance Auto but you might want to check RockAuto.com- their prices are unbeatable, even when calculating shipping. You'll need lots of brake cleaner and some good quality grease (the little packets of hi-temp brake grease at the auto parts store work great) to lube the contact points of the shoes. Also, I recommend getting your drums turned while you're in there. Also buy all new hardware (springs, adjusting screws, etc)- It's only an extra $10-15 and those drums generate a ton of heat, which wears out the springs and clips. I think you'll be surprised at how much of a difference good shoes make. Good luck!