1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 Suburban-C1500- How many grease fittings does it have-found 8.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, Dec 31, 2011.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

I just lubed my 1998 Suburban C-1500.
    How many grease fittings are there-I found 8-all in the front-steering.
    It has been so long since I greased anything- maybe 25 years
    Are there any fittings in the rear on a 2wd??
    Waay back when seems like there were even fittings on U- joints maybe?? Don't know exactly how that was managed-maybe memory is tricking me.

It has 218,000 miles-so these probably aren't original ball joints.I've had it 5 years 22000 miles
    Thanks
    Charlie
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

there are grease points at the u joints as well as the wheel bearings and on the suspension components and indipendent suspension bearings.
  3. phoebeisis

Conlan
    Thanks.
    I probably lubed the IFS I think-close to the wheels- maybe there is also a fitting inboard where the IFS is attached inboard more or less under the middle of the engine bay.
    Wow- just looked at the driveshaft- sucker must be 6 feet long- 6" in diameter-couldn't see any grease fittings but maybe they are topside-I need to drive up a few inches to see the other side.
    Thanks-great forum.
    Charlie
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. Conlan Rose

there is a grease fitting on the drive shaft in the middle of the shaft about.
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I was wondering the same thing the last time I lubed the truck. I kept finding more and more fittings, it was like an easter egg hunt!
  6. Conlan Rose

theres alot of them every where and theres even more on the 4wd trucks its intense i have a diagram for the grease points in a repair manual its really helpful.
  7. phoebeisis

Conlan
    Thanks-I steered you wrong sayinf my drive shaft was 9 feet long- just measured it-6 feet.You probably thought 9 feet meant a 2 piece one with a zerk fitting in the middle- it is one very long looking one piece- but "just" 6 feet long

Buddy tells me I should find maybe 11-on my 2wd-the odd single is near the steering arm-Pittman?? arm.
    He thinks I might not have one on the U- joints if they haven't been replaced-says sometimes the U-joints have a plug?? where you can put a grease fitting??
    Might have gotten this wrong of course.
    Never would have figured 8 fittings and still hunting up more.

I'm broke-hence the 218,000 $2900 Suburban(lucked out on this vehicle-the only good economic luck we've the last 6 years-even wife loves it,well loves traveling in it-not so much driving it-worlds greatest travel vehicle)

Janik-yeah VERY GREASY GRUNGY FILTHY Easter eggs that I hope I don't get on the brake disc!!
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012