1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 Suburban-dead battery-(I think) which one

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, Dec 20, 2013.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

yesterday morning-6 am- 45 degrees-New Orleans suburb
    I'm in a hurry-substitute teaching-long term assignment-and I had to give 2 tests
    Turn key- click click click-
    Yeah it had been cranking a bit slower the day or two before
    but it starts soooo quickly-I never worry about it
    What battery do I need
    It has a May 2009 Energizer- 4.5 years old- E78-S is on it-sideposts(I hate side posts)
    so are those optima red top yellow top "worth it"
    Oh it starter yesterday evening-and this morning- 20 degrees warmer-barely cranked but this old suburban starts soooo well-just a bit of cranking is all it needs-most reliable used car I have ever had.
    So any chance it is the alternator?
    4.5 years on battery-is that about it for a Energiser?
    Oh half turning the key-Voltage READS 10 volts- ONCE RUNNING 14 VOLTS
    Thanks
    Charlie
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member

4 1/2 years? That's 1 1/2 years beyond what anyone could ask of a battery. Get a new battery and be happy that you didn't have to do it sooner. No, for the average driver the Optima batteries are not even close to worth the extra money. They are meant for High performance, heavy duty use. Just get a battery, OEM style that is meant for the vehicle. I personally think Interstate is the best brand.
  3. phoebeisis

Dana
    So 3-4 years-that is about it?
    Guess the tiny prius 12 volt-which isn't used to start it-spoiled me
    So not worth the $200 bucks-
    There is an interstate dealer near me-probably $100 or so
    Thanks
    Charlie
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member

After 3 years, I simply get a new battery, whether mine has gone bad or not. For that amount of time, the money is not an issue. Those Optima batteries are not good for any longer than a regular one. They are extremely tough, physically. They take a lot of heat & vibration without failing. They just provide good cranking power if you happen to be running a 600 hp motor, racing fuel pump, winch, off road lights and a 5000 watt sub woofer system. The average driver just will never be able to take advantage of the benefits a high performance battery has, and then you still have to get a new one in three years.

No matter what anybody might say,( "Ah had me one o' dem batteries, an' it lasted 12 years.") after three years, you're standing on a cliff waiting for the wind to pick up.
  5. phoebeisis

Yeah-not a bad idea-3-3.5 years
    Especially since I'm in a suburb of new orleans-and heat kills batteries.
    My batteries get gentle service-no winch-occasionally I run extra headlights-once very 3 years for a road trip-10 -15 hrs maybe all total over 3 years.
    It is starting now-Sams has the same battery in stock-will give a tiny pro rate on it-
    Cross my fingers get it there-pull it out-buy a new one.
    Not going to wait around for them to install it-take forever
    Thanks
    Charlie
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member

You can always find an Autozone and get the battery tested to be sure, but the time factor alone is the preponderance of evidence.
  7. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

I've got an interstate in mine and it's still going great after 3 years. It's seen -19 and all the way up to 112 with no issues whatsoever...
  8. phoebeisis

Thanks guys
    Got it started-warm yesterday-75 or so-
    Drove to SAMs-removed it hauled it in
    Woman tests it-showed 12.5 volts but just 400cca- said "out of spec-buy another"
    Of course-despite 8 year prorated warranty-zero warranty
    Asked for receipt-paper receipts aren't even readable after 1 year-told them look it up
    said couldn't find it-said maybe to get full warranty you need it installed by them-
    what BS is that?
    In any case-bought same battery $95-would have liked to change brands-try interstate-but time-and effort
    Popped it in-started right up
    Hey-the battery was out for maybe 30 minutes-but all the radio codes-and the clock-all were retained??
    Does it have some capacitor in there?? Pretty sure it doesn't have a tiny battery hidden somewhere?
    Yeah-that was a pleasant surprise
    Thanks
    Charlie
  9. Dana W

Dana W Member

The radio/clock has a programmable digital memory in a manner of speaking, like a computer. Actually, these days those things are computers.
  10. poncho62

poncho62 Member

I usually get 5-6 years out of a battery, and winter is tough on them up here. I also get the largest battery with the most cold cranking amps that will fit in my battery tray.