1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 suburban shift problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dekemac, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dekemac

dekemac New Member

I'm new to the forum and would like to thank everyone up front for whatever suggestions you all come up with. The problem is the transmission will not shift up to 4th gear. The trans works perfect until it goes about 15-20 minutes then the rpm climbs and it reverts to like 3rd gear. The shift solenoids have both been replaced-The fluid was like new and no filings or sediments wer noticed. The computer has been replaced-reflashed for the vin #.
    The wiring is being checked as we speak. The connections I have been told are notorious for going bad. The truck has 142k miles on it and I love the way it drives etc. I hate to spend the money on another trans if this is not the answer. It always shifted perfect and the 4 wheel drive worked perfect until this happened. It's like a limp mode.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as the Mechanic has had it for 6 weeks now with no end in site. I know I should bring it to another mechanic but I'm so vested now I need to perserver. Deke MacPherson
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You definitely need to take it to another mechanic. Unless the current mechanic is going to refund you for all the work done that didn't fix the problem, you are not "vested"
  3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2!.......
  4. TexasEdition

TexasEdition New Member 100 Posts

Are you sure it has the correct fluid in the tranny?
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! If you don't get enough info' with this post, try the other forums for maint. questions.