Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999-2006 Silverado Sierra 4l60e Transmission Swap, i need to know what year trannys

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by senorbob999, Oct 5, 2010.

1. senorbob999

senorbob999 New Member

hello, i have a 2001 chevy silverado with a 4.8L v8 and it has over 222000 miles on it. the tranny is starting to act up and after doing some online investigating i found out it was the overdrive gear thats going out. i took it to a tranny shop and they want 1500 to do the rebuild. 1500 isnt bad except i want to sell the truck and dont really want to put more money into it. i had the engine swapped out at 190000 miles and when i was shopping for a engine i was told anf found out that any 4.8 engine from 1999-2004 would be a direct replacement except for the intake manifold and throttle body. my question is what year transmissions are interchangeable with out modifications? ive looked on craigslist and theres some cheap low mileage trannies from newer trucks (2005 and 2006) but i dont know if they will work with my truck or not. i read online that that any year tranny will fit bu that the wire harness and tranny ecu are different? any help with this would be greatly apreciated. oh and also my truck is a extended cab 2wd. would a standard cab or suv tranny fit as well?

2. senorbob999

senorbob999 New Member

hello, i have a 2001 chevy silverado with a 4.8L v8 and it has over 222000 miles on it. the tranny is starting to act up and after doing some online investigating i found out it was the overdrive gear thats going out. i took it to a tranny shop and they want 1500 to do the rebuild. 1500 isnt bad except i want to sell the truck and dont really want to put more money into it. i had the engine swapped out at 190000 miles and when i was shopping for a engine i was told anf found out that any 4.8 engine from 1999-2004 would be a direct replacement except for the intake manifold and throttle body. my question is what year transmissions are interchangeable with out modifications? ive looked on craigslist and theres some cheap low mileage trannies from newer trucks (2005 and 2006) but i dont know if they will work with my truck or not. i read online that that any year tranny will fit bu that the wire harness and tranny ecu are different? any help with this would be greatly apreciated. oh and also my truck is a extended cab 2wd. would a standard cab or suv tranny fit as well?

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

*********threads merged, please only post your question in once forum thanks********
    And if you have an questions about the move you are more than welcome to PM me.