1999 2500 suburban no brake lights

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jason.bierschwale, Nov 17, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jason.bierschwale

jason.bierschwale New Member

Hey guys,
    we purchased a 1999 Chevy Suburban 2500 454 4x4. We've had some irregularities with the electrical system - the power windows won't work from anywhere but the drivers door, the interior lights don't always light up when the doors are opened, the rear heat and air controls didn't work at first, and the heated seats don't always work.

Now I'm having an issue with the rear lights. I keep blowing bulbs (I think - it could just be a bad connection in the bulb socket), but now the brake lights and the hazards don't work. The taillights (with headlights for nighttime driving) work just fine. Someone did a crap job of wiring in a trailer harness, but I have disconnected it with no positive results. I replaced the brake light switch, but it didn't make a difference. I looked in the fuse box, and the slot for the 30A brake light fuse doesn't have a terminal on one side. There's no fuse in the slot. Where is the fuse for the brake lights? I was doing some research online at work and found a site that said sometimes the wiring going into the multi-function switch (turn signal switch) is pulled too tight and loses connectivity. I have been unable to diagnose the problem. I am hoping someone here has some light to shed on my problem, or has had a similar problem and can tell me how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas? It's scary to drive this thing without brake lights. I've been in several close calls where I was almost rear ended. If you have any ideas as to what could be wrong, please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welocme! thats a big problem!
    hopefully we can help you solve it!

:great:

:sign0016:
  3. retired

retired New Member 100 Posts

Sounds like you bought yourself an electrical nightmare.