Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999 4x4 jimmy transmission problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by letisports, Jun 19, 2009.

1. letisports

letisports New Member

Hello everyone,
    I hope someone can give me some help as to what could be causing my jimmy to have shifting problems. The thing is that I am having with the transmission shifting from first to second. I have to accelerate hard, then release the accelerator so that the gears will shift from 1st to second. Other than that the transmission works normal. Is there any thing in specifically causing this or do I need to rebuild the 4l60e transmission. thanks also can I interchange this transmission with one from a 2000 silverado 2500? thanks

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The very first thing to do is to check the trouble codes. It sounds like your transmission is in a failsafe mode. Go to Auto Zone and get it scanned. Report the codes and we'll hep you figure it out.

3. letisports

letisports New Member

sorry it took so long to answer but I went to autozone and they checked it out, they are telling me that I have an ignition problem. well that was last week, now I do have a problem with starting. well, it doesnt start and I cant get the key off the ignition. I think its the solenoid. I will replace just the solenoid. all I hear is click click click when I try to start it but the starter will not turn at all. I have good voltage and plus its a brand new starter. anyway, as far as the transmission problem. its still there. I changed the oil and it didnt fix it. then I added lucas oil and it seem to work ok for about 3 days, now I have the problem again. I have to accelarate to over 2k rpms for it to change gears to second. I dont know what to do other than get another transmission. I would replace anything inside the transmission if I knew what to buy to fix it. I am not affraid to break it open and change whatever needs to be replaced. I saw some videos on line that cost about 30 bucks and they tell you how to break it down and replace all parts, but I am not sure what parts I need for this problem. thanks

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had that same problem before with a car and it was the MAF sensor, as it could not detect the amount of air and was not giving the tranny the correct signal, so anything is possible

5. Jimmiee

Your transmission is controlled electronically. A bad speed sensor can cause your problem as well as other things outside your transmission. A low battery is another good example. To diagnose your problem you need to watch your PCM through a scanner and pay attention to the VSS. If this is working properly see if the PCM is commanding a 1-2 shift. It may command the shift and it's not happening because of a bad solenoid. This will usually set a code where a faulty speed sensor won't necessarily set a code.

6. letisports

letisports New Member

hello, do you think the speed sensor will cause the problem only in shifting from 1st to 2nd?
    thanks

7. Jimmiee

It could under certain circumstances but the most probable cause is shift solenoid A. Both SSA and SSB are on to produce 1st gear. SSA is turned off to make a 1-2 shift. So what I would do is watch the scanner and see when the PCM commands the 1-2 shift. If it commands it at 12 MPH and it doesn't shift until 20 then the problem is either a lazy solenoid or a sticking shift valve. If the PCM commands the 1-2 shift at 20MPH then it could be a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor. Your problem is a piece of cake to diagnose with a scanner. :)

8. letisports

letisports New Member

well, where do I get one of these scanners and how much would one cost?
    also, now I am having to deal with this starting problem. I cant get the key off the ignition and the shifter lever is stuck in parking. I think the transmission got jammed or maybe its designed to do that if the starter solenoid doesnt work. does anyone know why this is happening and what I should do?
    thanks

9. letisports

letisports New Member

hello, I have changed the ssa and ssb solenoids. I found something odd, as I was changing one solenoid I found that there was pull back pressure from what I think is the shift valve, Its what goes up against the actual soenoid one you install it. but what was odd was that there was no pressure to insert the other solenoid. that one would be the ssb, its the one on the passengerside. does anyone know if this is normal.

also I was going to change the speed sensor but I bought the wrong one. the one I found was on the back of the transmission. just pass the part where the 4x4 action takes place. does anyone know if there are two of them on this transmission, or did I just simply by the wrong one. thanks

10. Jimmiee

One of the shift valves is spring loaded and one is not. Also there's more than one speed sensor choice so you probably got the wrong one. Did you correct your problem??