1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 5.7 1500 Sub' hesitation power loss misses

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by matthew acacia, May 7, 2010.

1. matthew acacia

matthew acacia New Member

Hello everyone...
    I have a '99 2wd C1500 5.7 Suburban with 83k miles.
    It hesitates/misses/loses power when attempting to accelerate.
    This problem started a few hours ago.
    It runs through the rpm range normally when parked in neutral.
    Six months ago I ran out of gas.
    It would not start after fuel was added. The Tow-truck driver struck the gas tank with a rubber mallet a few times and the truck started and ran normally.
    Three nights ago it would not start after running normally and being parked. I struck the gas tank with a padded piece of steel and it started.
    It idles and will run under light throttle application. It did run better for a few minutes after the problem surfaced but it resumed the problem after being parked and having the battery disconnected and reconnected.
    If it is the fuel pump what brand should be purchased and how difficult an install is it?

Only the Best to You All

matthew acacia
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like a fuel pump issue. Before replacing, I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge and test the fuel system to see.

The biggest irritation for me when I changed the fuel pump in my '98 was dropping the tank, because my fuel pump decided to die right after filling that 44 gallon beast. It would have been a lot easier to change if the tank would have been near empty.
  3. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

from all the pumps i seen go out its what it sounds like to me. I replaced mine myself cuz the shop wanted 300 bucks to do it. if i rember right the pump was around 100 bucks sorry dont rember the brand for sure but think it was a bosh . i dropped my tank insted of taking off the bed, is a pain to do if your by your self and have half a tank of gas its heaver then i thought it would be.
    I drained most of it out before i put it back in then replaced the fuel filter when i was all done.Its not hard to do just takes a little time.
  4. matthew acacia

matthew acacia New Member

Thanks...
    Changed the fuel filter this morning, fuel was dirty. Pump needed coaxing again.
    Fuel pump is probably at fault, will change plugs, cap and rotor as well.
    Thanks again...

M. A.