1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 5.7 Intake Mani Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vulcania, May 28, 2010.

1. vulcania

vulcania New Member

Hey!

I've got a 1999 CK Truck: bought it brand new. Three doors, 4WD, 5.7 / 1500, Air Con, Power everything, O/D auto trans, etc. Just went over 100,000 miles because I didn't drive it regularly.

Lately, I noticed the coolant was down. Added some. It went down again and then overheated. Checking it out, I have a coolant leak at the forward right corner of the intake manifold. Don't even have to start the engine: just put a garden hose into the radiator and water starts flowing out at the busted mani gasket like a fountain. :gasp:

Guess I'm going to have to pull the manifold and replace the gaskets. I'm an old Chevy guy and can do it, but most of my experience is with older vehicles so I thought I'd ask around.

I've learned this is a fairly common problem: manifold bolts untorque after a while. So i figure there's probably some of you out there who have gone through this already.

Any tips or info you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Actually this is a very straight forward repair.. Just unplug, and unbolt. Clean it all up, and put in the new gaskets.. Kinda surprised that it let that far loose though, most people have a problem with the coolant getting into the motor. which is worse if you ask me.
    Good luck. There might be some guys on here who have a few pointers that i might not have used but as i said, if you have ever worked on a 350 before you are looking at pretty much the same thing.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Maybe take some pics as you are removing the components bolted to the manifold. Spray the EGR tube at the front of the manifold with some good quality penetrant. PB Blaster or Deep Creep.
  4. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Here is my .02 http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22498

I went through all the gasket options I could find and posted it there :great:
  5. vulcania

vulcania New Member