1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 Chevy Cavalier

Discussion in 'Other GM Cars' started by ChevyFan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My Cavalier has two issues.

1) The cig lighter / power keeps popping fuses. Not all that often, maybe every 3 months. This is the 3rd time it's happened, just replaced the fuse.

2) Cruise Control doesn't seem to work anymore. Can this be related to #1? I checked CC fuse and it looks fine.
  2. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe your cigarette lighter uses more amp than when it was new.
  3. ChevyFan

Well, I use it to charge my cell phone really.
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Change the cruise control fuse, even if it looks good.

As far as the lighter goes change that fuse at the same time you change the other one, just for yuks.

I don’t think they are related but just try it and see what happens.

They have some great info on here for cruise controls.

http://www.the12volt.com/cruises/cruises.asp#special
  5. ChevyFan

Thanks for the info.

It looks like I've got quite a few possibilities to trace down if it's not just a bad fuse or whatever.
  6. ChevyFan

Well, I replaced the cig/adapter fuse and it looks like it's all good. It works fine. It's possible that my cell phone is causing it to pop, maybe a cheap charger???
  7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It really shouldn't be drawing that much power. Could be cheap charger, low quality construction.
  8. ChevyFan

Replaced the fuses. The power/cig works fine now. The cruise does not work. My next stop is to look for a loose connection on the brake pedal.
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Didn’t think they were related but was worth a try.

The only connection to the brake pedal is an extra wire on the brake light switch.

Also check for vacuum leaks in the engine compartment, in the vacuum can. It’s a storage can that runs some of the mechanical links to the throttle.

Now days I think it’s a plastic ball, years ago they looked like a coffee can.
  10. ChevyFan

To make matters worse it's FREEZING up here. I used to work for a lumber supply company, we had a big 4500 sq foot drive-in mill shop with a 500,000 BTU forced air heater. That was great, we could move a vehicle in there, run the heat for 5 minutes and wear t-shirts to work on something after hours even if it's 10F outside.

Those were the days.