1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z 5.3 Transmission HELP

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jew3, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jew3

jew3 New Member

Sunshell in my 4L60E failed.
    Should I use Aamaco or a local transmission shop?
    260,000 miles of flawless operation.
    What do you guys suggest rebuild or replace?​

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

****THREAD MOVED****
    To The
    GENERAL CHEVY/GM TECH QUESTION SECTION

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The sunshell failed in my 2001 4L60E. I had a local shop rebuild it to the tune of $2200. It won't be cheap either way you go but I think having a local shop rebuild it will be the cheapest option, unless you buy a rebuilt tranny and swap it out yourself.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unfortunately the sunshell is only a $40 part, BUT it is also the last thing to come out of the transmission. Most likely there is other damage to the transmission, so you'll probably end up with a rebuild. There is an upgraded sunshell out there, any decent transmission shop will use upgraded parts instead of oem replacement parts.
  5. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Its not the rebuild kit that cost, its the labor, and the sunshell has been an issue for several years, its a very weak part that fails often, so go back with the upgrade parts as TRPL expressed and you will be fine, I rebuilt mine after that failure in a 2000 model with upgraded parts a couple years ago, my brother has used that vehicle in his business for two years now, I am sure I will never get it back, lol. Clint is pretty dead on with the rebuild cost. And you will have a better tranny than you had when it was new if you use upgrade parts.