1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z 5.3 Transmission HELP

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jew3, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jew3

jew3 New Member

Sunshell in my 4L60E failed.
    Should I use Aamaco or a local transmission shop?
    260,000 miles of flawless operation.
    What do you guys suggest rebuild or replace?​

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

****THREAD MOVED****
    To The
    GENERAL CHEVY/GM TECH QUESTION SECTION

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The sunshell failed in my 2001 4L60E. I had a local shop rebuild it to the tune of $2200. It won't be cheap either way you go but I think having a local shop rebuild it will be the cheapest option, unless you buy a rebuilt tranny and swap it out yourself.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unfortunately the sunshell is only a $40 part, BUT it is also the last thing to come out of the transmission. Most likely there is other damage to the transmission, so you'll probably end up with a rebuild. There is an upgraded sunshell out there, any decent transmission shop will use upgraded parts instead of oem replacement parts.

5. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Its not the rebuild kit that cost, its the labor, and the sunshell has been an issue for several years, its a very weak part that fails often, so go back with the upgrade parts as TRPL expressed and you will be fine, I rebuilt mine after that failure in a 2000 model with upgraded parts a couple years ago, my brother has used that vehicle in his business for two years now, I am sure I will never get it back, lol. Clint is pretty dead on with the rebuild cost. And you will have a better tranny than you had when it was new if you use upgrade parts.