1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999 chevy suburban 5.7 vortec ~need performance advice

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mattewhitesuburban, Feb 2, 2014.

1. mattewhitesuburban

mattewhitesuburban New Member

Hey guys , I'm new and love the great amount of info . OK as for my truck , I am building a project , so I ordered the 6 inch lift and the 35 12.50 tires as well as the black xd rock star 20 inch wheels. I need your guys help here please . So I'm new to the 4 x 4 scene and I am new to the fuel injected builds with all the different vortec engines . I see all the different things that are being done whether internal basic bolt ons ... superchargers and my favorite turbos . I built 9 Sec cars and engines from when I was 15 till now so I Amy pretty knowledgeable. So on to the mods .... I have basic bolt ons ...
    Already installed
    Magnaflow high flow cats
    Magnaflow series 40 2 in 1 out stainless
    All stainless exhaust 3.5 inch single
    Yes single but it does sound great . He ran it higher for the 6 inch lift .
    Royal purple diff
    Royal purple power steering
    Royal purple oil with filter

it's cold so I haven't installed the items below
    msd vortec cap n rotor
    msd coil
    msd 8.8 plug wires
    Plugs ???? I need
    ok so future

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Swap the diff gears to 4.56s. The stock 3.42 or 3.73 will have the motor lugging all the time.

3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

would 4.10 gears not do ok?

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

If you already have the 4.10s in it, go with, but if you're gonna swap I'd go with 4.56s. A suburban is a heavy vehicle and needs all the mechanical advantage the deeper gears will give it.

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

you didn't say what you are trying to do. If you don't mind 10-12 mpg on the highway, the 4.56's will be fine for you. The 4.10's are a good compromise in most cases, but the large tires are going to make them behave like 3.5. It all depends on what you want to achieve...towing power, top speed, off-line acceleration. If you have done all this before, you know you have to have a goal in mind.