1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 Chevy Suburban 5.7L 350 Vortec Won't Start

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Leslie6900, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Leslie6900

Leslie6900 New Member

I am a newbie and in need of help with my truck. It was running rough so I took it to the mechanic. He got codes that indicated the timing chain. He changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors hoping that would solve the problem, it did not. He then quoted me $1200.00 to change the timing chain which I could not afford so I decided to do the work myself, I have a Haynes manual and I am pretty handy when I have instructions. Anyways I changed the timing chain, timing cover, spark plugs, spark plug wires, timing cover seal, distributor rotor, distributor cap, camshaft sensor crankshaft sensor and the belt. Now the truck will crank but not start. I have no spark at plug #1, but I have spark at plug #3. I tested a new ignition coil and this did not solve the problem. I have plugged in a scanner but did not get a code. Please help, I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what to check next.
  2. Leslie6900

Leslie6900 New Member

I am rechecking the spark now. We had already replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors before the timing chain. I have taken the ignition coil and the ignition module to be tested and Auto Zone said they were good. I am going crazy trying to figure out what could be wrong, can you tell me what other parts I should look at?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I am also having trouble tightening the distributor cap with the screws, how likely is it that my whole problem is the distributor?