1999 Chevy Suburban exhaust?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by waffle, Oct 4, 2011.

1. waffle

waffle New Member

I have a 1999 suburban k1500 and want to put some decent exhaust on it. Currently i have a dual in single out cherrybomb vortex on it and i don't think its loud enough. I have to get the cats on too sadly.. But whats a good choice i was either thinking dual glasspacks or 2 flowmaster 40 or 44 series. If you have any other suggestions thanks!
  2. Welcome to the club. I'd go with the Flowmaster 44's.
  3. waffle

waffle New Member

Ha thanks yeah i wasn't to sure on what i wanted for sound but the vortex aint cutting it. I just need it louder and I'm leaning more towards the flowmaster super 44s
  4. Loud = ticket.:lol:
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

x2....on going with Flowmaster!!
  6. waffle

waffle New Member

Ha I'm sure with the flowmasters it will be a little bit more calming than dual glasspacks?
    Now how much would it cost for a shop to bend some pipes that would run out on both sides of the receiver for the hitch?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. Wags

Wags New Member

Ok guy's I'm new to the site and am looking to replace theentire exhaust system to what I call a "TRUE DUAL" system. Headersthen run no cats and go thru a good quality set of mufflers to keep it quiet.

Anyone ever do this or know anyone in the Chicago land areawho I can go to talk it thru and get it installed? I really only see one bigissue other than the noise levels and that is the O2 sensors, what do I do withthem??

I fully plan on installing a cold air intake, either a chipor get the ECM reprogrammed or better yet find an ECM programmer that can bemounted on the dash so I can choose what I want for the conditions I might comeacross???

Any help, input would be great!

Thanks,
    Wags

- - - Updated - - -

Ok guy's I'm new to the site and am looking to replace the entire exhaust system to what I call a "TRUE DUAL" system. Headers, then run no cats and go thru a good quality set of mufflers to keep it quiet.

Anyone ever do this or know anyone in the Chicago land area who I can go to to talk it thru and get it installed? I really only see one big issue other than the noise levels and that is the O2 sensors, what do I do with them??

I fully plan on installing a cold air intake, either a chipor get the ECM reprogrammed or better yet find an ECM programmer that can bemounted on the dash so I can choose what I want for the conditions I might comeacross???

I almost forgot my rig is a 1999 K2500 8600gvw Suburban with a 7.4L 454 and 4:10 in the front and 4:56 in the rear.

Any help, input would be great!

Thanks,
    Wags

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the double post guy's,
  8. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

I've got a 98 and ran true duals through glasspacks and it sounds pretty decent. Not overly loud but it's got a nice rumble to it. I still have the cats (just had to put new ones recently). However, I am looking at having the glass packs cut out and straight piping it from the post cats back... I have a youtube video of my exhaust somewhere. I'll have to look for it and if i find it I'll post it so you can listen. Greg

Update: Found the link (below). This video is a few years old and the exhaust actually is louder and deeper now. Sounds much better overall. If I get a minute I'll take a new video and upload it. Oh, and the "ow" about halfway through is my son holding the camera. Some crud shot out of the exhaust and smacked his arm :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWNDoh9zX4
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  9. AnCap

AnCap New Member

I have flowmaster 40 series on my yukon and loved them.I am going with the 10 series on my suburban come February.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

I put high flow magnaflow cats and thrush welded 2 1/2" mufflers on my wife's 99 Tahoe from the headers back. LOUD AS HELL! With a nice deep tone. Not all crackly as sh!t like glass packs
  11. e-coast

e-coast New Member

Yes, I have suggestions for ya.

First, hows the crime rate in your neighborhood?
    The louder your exhaust is, the more people know exactly what time you leave and get home.:shocked:
    Second, what about longevity, Wisconsin, do they put salt down ?

We'll, I live in a fairly high crime rate area and lots of salt, so I went with a mellow sound and all stainless parts and pipes.
    Two replacement SS cats, and SS Magna flow muffler (2) 2-1/2" in and one 3" out I think. (All welded.)

I could have gone with duel out, the installer said he may have to neck the tail pipes down to 2-1/4" to channel to the drivers side (around the shock) and have them match.

All said and done, I'm glad I went with the 3" single tail pipe because its a stronger set-up and less hangers.
    It sounds great, very low mellow, most people think its a big block.
    That was about 8yrs ago, still strong.

An $1,100 investment I don't regret.....and no break inns yet.:)
  12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback New Member

I have the same truck and I'm working on doing an engine swap. I was trying, if money allows, to also change the exhaust. Headers back, no cats. Hows the fuel mileage for you all vs stock?

Nathan
  13. e-coast

e-coast New Member

Hows the fuel mileage for you all vs stock?

That was a long while ago, so I'm used to how it is, but if I remember, there was a small up-tick in mileage.
    The best she gets is 12mpg highway keeping to 65mph, but its also a 3/4 ton, so the frame & suspension may be a little heavier, I think around 6500lbs.

My burb is a 97 w/5.7L, not nearly as efficient in mileage or power compared to the modern 6L.
    In my state of MA, 97's are now exempt from emissions testing, if that were the case back then, I would have never sprang for (2) cats, they were expensive.

I'm not qualified to say for sure, but you might want to consult a good exhaust professional before going ahead, a muffler does more than just quiet the exhaust, as I believe some back pressure is good thing (best way I can put it).
  14. Ridgeback

Ridgeback New Member

I'm getting conflicting opinions. I have heard that the back pressure is a good thing too. I have a cold air intake on it but don't want to spend a bunch on the exhaust and have mpg go down.

Thanks,
    Nathan
  15. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Not to highjack the thread, but how are you running 2 different gear ratios and not shredding the T-case or other components? Did you just not want to pay to have the front done and never put it in 4x4?
  16. Wags

Wags New Member

I bought the truck new in 99 it came from the factory set up that way??? And it works great in four wheel drive! I have been perplexed since Ive owned it myself.
  17. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Back pressure is a good thing from a low end torque aspect. Having the mufflers as opposed to no mufflers also helps with fuel mileage in my experience. No mufflers gives you better top end performance, but sacrifices a couple mpg's.
  18. cmcolfax

cmcolfax New Member

I know I am new here... but not to wrenching or vehicle forums... Been doing Jeeps for 15+ years...

That being said, no way in hell you are running 4.56's and 4.10's without tearing something up...

I would double check...

My research in to 96-99/2500/454/14-bolt Burbs showed 4.10's as deepest gear ratio.

Not being a dick... just want you to know what you have... and not break stuff.

-cmc-
  19. taggat

taggat New Member