1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 gmc suburban 1500 2wd rear end making loud roaring noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by simmre, May 18, 2013.

1. simmre

simmre New Member

hi guys. my name is robert and i'm new to the forum. my problem is the rear end on my 1999 suburban is making a loud roaring sound. i'm thinking the diff is shot. i'm about to take off the cover and check for meteal particles/visible damage etc. is rear end failure common on these trucks? i'm a pretty good mechanic, but i've never rebuilt a diff. so, i'll be scouring the salvage yards looking for a bolt in replacement. aside from low mileage, and particular options, what should i look for as far as picking up a good replacement? in other words, how can i determine if the new diff is damaged before i buy it? thanks for any help that i can get. i'll post back with what i found in my diff.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Before you condemn the diff check the axle bearings and the pinion bearing.
    With a roaring rear axle Id suspect a bearing issue over bad gears.
  3. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Don't let the diff. scare ya. Sure does sound like a pinion bearing, in that case replace all the bearings.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! Good luck with your dif' problems!
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Moved to Powertrain. It does sound like a pinion bearing, but certainly double check other things.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome, Robert. I can't help with the issue but there's been some good advice, so far, in the thread from gents I've learned to trust over the years.

Let us know what you find?