1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999 GMC Suburban SLT K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Bsburban, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bsburban

Bsburban New Member

New to the forums and have a pre purchase question.
    Im 21 and this will be my 7th suburban....haha what can i say i love it!!!

I am looking to buy a 99 gmc suburban. I found one that is everything i want. Im from the northern california and it is hard to find a 99 GMC 1500. Finally found one. here are the details.
    1999 GMC Suburban K1500
    4wd
    Gray Leather(both front seats are pretty worn). Rest of the seats are perfect and the carpets are as well. Even has the stock floor mat set in perfect condition.
    Pewter Metallic
    Engine and trans are strong still.
    167k miles
    Body and paint are good
    The guy was asking 5200

It needs tires, alignment, rear air doesnt work(not sure why).

He agreed to 4200 cash.....

Now your guys input

Go for it? or no?

Remember this suburban is exactly what i want :)

2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Why ask? It's calling you, and it's less than I've ever paid for a Burb! You're going to use up that 1,000 buying tires and alignment, but you can justify that.

Good luck with it!

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

ID go for it why not.. the 99 is a solid truck, and tires, and alignment are something you can usually expect from a used vehicle.

4. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

Sounds good, when you get it keep an eye on the transmission.

I bought a 99 for $3,500 it had 175,000miles, 2 months later the tranny went.

5. Bsburban

Bsburban New Member

I bought it and already love it.

Some things i need asap is...
    Tires, im thinking all terrain and going alittle bigger.
    Alignment im sure. When i am driving it it feels loose and feels harder to turn right then when turning left. Not sure what else its gonna need. Any thoughts?

6. murdog94

Go thru and take a look at the Ball joints and tie Rod ends... Plus look at the Pit man arm.. Basically going thru and inspecting the front end would be a very good idea..

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Remember Suburbans suffer from terrible mileage and your state has almost the highest gas prices in the US.
    I'd probably stick with a tire close to factory size and non-agressive unless you plan on off-roading a lot.
    Most 4 wheel drives run less than 10% of thier mileage off-road and one of the most asked questions after getting new larger and/or aggressive tires is how can I get the MPG back.

8. murdog94

X2 :great:

9. Bsburban

Bsburban New Member

I was thinking alittle bigger if any. Im also currently looking for some other stock rims for my burban. I like the ones that came on the yukon xls, I cant find any good sites that show the older stock gm rims. So there hard to explain but i see them alot on the 03-06 yukons.

So monday im taking to the shop to get full inspection and tune up. I was just gonna do it all myself but a friend has a shop and will do it all for just parts. So i figured why not, he has a lift which makes things easier.
    One thing im nervious about is the front end. I havent been driving it cause the steering feels very jerky and loose. I remember when i had a tahoe it didnt feel this loose and it cost me 700 bucks. Im hoping for less...way less. it was my dads friends shop and you charged me full labor and dicounted the parts. Anyhow im going to a different shop where my friend works.
    Also what should all be done on the tune up side for it having 160k+ miles. Im sure cap/rotor,plugs...ect. But what would be the full list. Ive finally found the suburban that i want and i really wanna make it last.

10. murdog94

Differenetial lubricants. Transfer case lubricants.. Tranny fluid/Fliter, Coolant test at the least mabey a flush. And you got it on the plugs etc..
    That should be about it other than just checking the truck over...