1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999 rear axle seal?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hdominic, Dec 22, 2009.

1. hdominic

hdominic New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a situation here that I would greatly appreciate some incite on. I have a 1999 GMC suburban 2500, 4X4, 7.4L, all options. I got the biggest rear end that was offered for that model I think a Dana __ (I can't remember the number). The rear right axle seal was leaking; causing fluid to get into my drum. I removed the axle and then the bearings/seal with little issue. However, I realized that the parts needed to install the new bearings/seals would have to be ordered since I did not own them, and no one I knew had them. Now comes my predicament. From the time I removed the seal until I the time I got the install tools, I forgot which way the seal is supposed to be installed!

If I put the seal in one way, the rubber does not make contact with the bearing but would contact the axle when installed. If I install the seal the other way, the rubber makes contact with the bearing, but not with the axle. I have the GM shop manuals and they do not say which way to install it (that I can find) and I am unable to find out how it should be done.

If anyone has done this procedure or knows where I can get directions/pictures I would be most grateful.

Thank you guys for your help!

~ Dominic

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

:party:WELCOME :party:

i WILL CALL MY BUDDY ON YOUR PROBLEM HE WORKS AT CHEVY / GMC :great:

3. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

if that is a full floater rear corp 14 then the seal goes in so that the rubber lip faces into the hub to keep the oil from getting past and out to tube I think thats what your askin we are talking full floater not semi with axle, flange, lugs one piece

4. hdominic

hdominic New Member

Hey guys, thank you for the advice and for checking with your friend.
    I think the rear end is a Dana 70.

azdrtdog: I think I understand what your saying, although I'm not sure what "floater" means.

The way the rear end is set up is, you remove 8 bolts on the axle (Wheel side), then you pull the axle out. Next you remove a "hub assembly" or whatever it is called which houses your inner and outer bearings. The seal then sits against the outer (wheell) side bearing.

5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yes, its a full floater !!!!!

And the way he said is correct !!!

GET-R-DONE !!!:lol::glasses:

6. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

WOOT! haha glad you got the answer your looking for :)

7. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

ya thats a full floater refering to the drive axle not touching bearings even though one side bolts to the hub

8. hdominic

hdominic New Member

Guys thank you so much!

You turned what may have been an abysmal experience into a positive one. Thank you all for your input!

I've been on a lot of forums for different reasons and you have all been nice and great!