1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 S10 Xtreme

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by 95_5spd, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Started a little project on my American Racing wheels i have. The clear coat on them are peeling so it's coming off and yellowing. I've been wanting to strip them ever since i got them. I did the lip on one of them and it makes all the difference. The centers have not been touched so you can see how cloudy and dull it looks compared to no clear coat at all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

Yup that clear coat is a waste most of the time. Several years back I had a Mercury Mystque and I got a nice set of, 11 spoke I think, rims for it. They looked bitchn' and then the clear started to pit, after that no amount of washing could make them look good anymore.
  3. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Yea the same here. Even with a wet sand and polish they still look horrible.
  4. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

Me thinks the best way to go is, when you get a set rims strip the clear and polish them to the look you want. Then wax the do-da out of them, then clean and wax them when ever they start to look at little dull. It's a lot of work but they will stay looking good a lot longer than that damn clear coat. I think that's why a lot of guys are going with powder coat, they have a chrome powder coat that looks pretty sharp. Maybe if a guy didn't want a blinding shine polish that would be the way to go. But then again see'n as how it cost me a C note to get a stock 94 front bumper done in basic black it might be a little spendy get 4 rims done in chrome.
  5. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Chrome powder coat would probably be very costly. Powder coating is some good stuff. I would have many parts done on my truck if it wasn't so pricey.
  6. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Better quality pictures. I have one wheel 99% percent done. Just tiny specs of clear coat still around the bead part of the wheel. Other than that i just gotta clean it off and put some compound on it.

This is what the clear coat looks on there. I have stripper on the center part of the wheel so it's a mess. But you can see on the lip it's very dulled out.

[​IMG]

When it's all stripped off. The center looks cloudy since i haven't put compound on it yet. Plus that part has ridge like things on the surface so compound will be a must on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

After compounding them use aluminum wool on them for a little added protection and shine.
  8. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Yea I have some of the 0000 super fine wool. Love that stuff. I also have Nevr Dull polish padding. The stuff that comes in a metal can. Just rip off pieces and polish. Works great.
  9. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

The "Never Dull" is what I meant not steel wool. The Never Dull is wool wadding impregnated with their chemistry.
  10. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 100 Posts

Yea I have a whole container of that. The super fine steel wool works really good too before using compound