1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 Silverado 1500 ignition lock cylinder removal and replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mac daddy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mac daddy

mac daddy New Member

My 1999 Silverado has 212,000 miles and apparently the tumblers in the ignition lock cyliner are worn out. Can't find any tips on changing this, anyone have any experience with this?
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

go to the dealership and have them make a new key using the vehicle ID. most times it is the key. do not copy the key that's not working.
  3. rangercliff

rangercliff New Member ROTM Winner

Is there a hole (approx 1/8") oround the cylinder or column? If so put your key in,turn to run,put something in the hole & depress button while pulling out on cylinder,small allen wrench or punch may work.
  4. GMC Sierra 99

GMC Sierra 99 New Member

Thank you.

Instead of replacing my ignition lock cylinder, I tried my original key I got when I bought the truck, which I had stored. My 15-yr old, daily-use key, was the problem, not the lock. Thank you for saving me more than an afternoon of time and lots of money.
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

this is why when you purchase a vehicle you must have a back up key . the key that is never used. this is then used as a testing and new key making .

I would get a key made from this master key . then use the copy key not the master.

sometimes this will not work because if you continue to work the worn key to get it to start the cylinder gets damaged. so when the key sticks get new quickly .. good luck ..